The World Became My Classroom: What Travel Has Taught Me About People, Hospitality, and Life
The World Became My Classroom: What Travel Has Taught Me About People, Hospitality, and Life
That curiosity became part of the journey I began documenting in The Journey Behind The Michael Badeon Journal.
Even when I was a child, I already had this natural curiosity to explore what was beyond what I could see.
My mother would sometimes scold me whenever I tried to go beyond the familiar boundaries.
She would ask:
“Asa naman pud ka gikan?” "Where have you been again?"
Looking back, I smile whenever I remember those words.
Perhaps my mother was simply worried about where I was going.
But that curiosity to explore never really left me.
It simply grew with me.
And eventually, I discovered something that changed the way I looked at travel:
After spending years inside classrooms, I began to discover that the world itself could become my classroom.
From the Classroom to the World
For more than 15 years, I have been involved in teaching across colleges, universities, and vocational education.
Then, through my work in corporate training and facilitation, I began traveling to different places for professional engagements.
For 14 years, I have facilitated corporate training programs, leadership development sessions, experiential team-building activities, and people-development programs in different locations.
Many of these journeys involved driving myself to the destination, arriving a day before the training, facilitating the program, and returning home afterward.
At first, these trips were simply part of my work.
But over time, I realized that every journey was teaching me something.
Every place introduced me to different people.
Every community had its own character.
Every experience offered another lesson.
And eventually, I began to see travel differently.
The world became my classroom.
A Family Journey to Buda Forest Camp
One of the travel experiences that remains especially meaningful to me was a family trip to Buda Forest Camp on May 4, 2023.
This was different from the many trips I had taken for corporate training.
There was no training program to facilitate.
No participants waiting for me.
No presentation to prepare.
No corporate agenda.
This time, I was simply traveling with my family.
I was with my wife, Mommy Marie Flor, and our girls:
Olivia Isabelle,
Mikaella Eve,
and Ma. Avielle Kristina.
And sometimes, those are the journeys that become the most meaningful.
Not because they are the most luxurious.
Not because we travel the farthest.
But because we are together.
Hospitality Made Me Appreciate Hospitality
During our stay at Buda Forest Camp, I became particularly grateful for the hospitality extended by the owner.
There was something about the warmth of the experience that made me pause and appreciate what hospitality really means.
Hospitality is more than providing a place to stay.
It is more than having beautiful surroundings.
It is about making people feel welcome.
It is about creating an environment where guests can relax, connect, and enjoy the moment.
And that experience made me appreciate hospitality on a deeper level.
As someone who is also involved in the travel industry, I realized again that people may remember the destination, but they often remember how they were treated even more.
We Didn't Just Eat. We Cooked Together.
One of the simple things we did during our stay was cook our own food together.
It sounds ordinary.
But sometimes the simplest experiences become the memories we treasure most.
We prepared our food together.
We shared the work.
We talked.
We enjoyed the surroundings.
We were simply together.
There was no need for an elaborate itinerary.
No need to constantly move from one attraction to another.
For that moment, being together was enough.
And watching our girls participate made the experience even more meaningful.
Olivia Isabelle.
Mikaella Eve.
Ma. Avielle Kristina.
Together with Mommy Marie Flor, we created a family memory that a photograph alone could never fully capture.
Sometimes Travel Is About Slowing Down
My professional life can be busy.
Teaching.
School administration.
Training.
Facilitation.
Business.
Meetings.
Responsibilities.
There is always something that needs to be done.
Travel, however, can teach us to slow down.
To breathe.
To look around.
To talk to the people beside us.
To appreciate a meal.
To enjoy nature.
To spend time with family without constantly thinking about the next task.
That family trip reminded me that sometimes we don't need to go somewhere simply to see more.
Sometimes we travel so we can experience more deeply what we already have.
The Lesson of Hospitality
That experience at Buda Forest Camp also connected with something I have learned throughout my professional journey.
Whether I am teaching students, facilitating a corporate training, leading a team, serving a client, or welcoming a traveler, people want to feel valued.
They want to feel respected.
They want to feel welcome.
They want to know that someone genuinely cares about their experience.
That is hospitality.
And hospitality is not limited to the travel industry.
It is a leadership principle.
It is a people-development principle.
It is a customer-service principle.
And, in many ways, it is simply a human principle.
Travel Is Really About People
The more I travel, the more I realize that destinations are only part of the story.
A beautiful place can capture our attention.
But people create the experience.
The owner who welcomes you.
The local guide who shares a story.
The staff member who helps you.
The family you meet.
The people who prepare your food.
The people who maintain the place you visit.
They are all part of the journey.
And that is why I have come to believe:
Travel is not really about places. It is about people and the experiences we share with them.
My Work as a Trainer Taught Me the Same Lesson
Interestingly, my 14 years of corporate training and facilitation have taught me something very similar.
When I facilitate a team-building program, the activities are important.
But the people are more important.
The activity is simply a vehicle.
The real experience happens when people communicate, cooperate, laugh, struggle, reflect, and learn together.
Travel is similar.
The destination is the setting.
But the people and the experience are the real journey.
That is why I don't believe travel should simply be measured by how many destinations we have visited.
It should also be measured by how much we have learned from the people we encountered.
Family Travel Is a Different Kind of Learning
Traveling with family has its own lessons.
You learn patience.
You learn flexibility.
You learn to compromise.
You learn to appreciate simple moments.
You learn that children may remember something completely different from what you expected them to remember.
Perhaps they won't remember the exact name of the place.
Perhaps they won't remember every detail of the trip.
But they may remember cooking together.
They may remember laughing.
They may remember being with Mom and Dad.
They may remember feeling happy.
And those memories are priceless.
From "Where Have You Been?" to "What Did You Learn?"
I sometimes remember my mother's familiar question:
"Asa naman pud ka gikan?"
"Where have you been again?"
When I was younger, it was simply a question from a mother wondering where her curious child had gone.
Today, I hear that question differently.
Whenever I return from somewhere, I don't simply ask:
"Where have I been?"
I ask:
"What did I learn?"
What did the people teach me?
What did the place reveal?
What experience changed my perspective?
What did I discover about myself?
What memory will I carry home?
Because travel becomes more meaningful when we return with something more valuable than photographs.
We return with perspective.
We return with gratitude.
We return with memories.
And sometimes, we return with a deeper appreciation for the people who welcomed us.
The World Really Is a Classroom
I began my professional journey teaching inside classrooms.
Later, I found myself facilitating learning in corporate training rooms.
Through travel, I discovered another classroom—the world itself.
The classroom has no walls.
The lessons are not always written.
The teachers may be strangers.
The assignments are unexpected.
And sometimes, the most important lesson comes from something as simple as sharing a meal with your family.
My experience at Buda Forest Camp reminded me that travel does not always need to be complicated.
Sometimes it is simply about being present.
Being grateful.
Being together.
And appreciating the people who make a place feel welcoming.
That is what hospitality taught me.
That is what family taught me.
And that is what travel continues to teach me.
Perhaps that curious child my mother once asked,
"Asa naman pud ka gikan?"
was simply beginning a lifelong journey of learning.
And today, I am grateful that the journey continues—with my family, through my work, and through every new place that becomes another classroom.
My experiences in corporate training have taught me that meaningful learning often begins with people, relationships, and shared experiences. I wrote more about this in People Don't Need More Training. They Need More Development.
Learn. Lead. Grow. Live.
— Michael Badeon
The Michael Badeon Journal


Comments
Post a Comment
I'd love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to share your perspective, experience, or insight.