Business Is Built on Trust Before It Is Built on Transactions
Business Is Built on Trust Before It Is Built on Transactions
There are many things people say are necessary to become successful in business.
Capital.
Strategy.
Marketing.
Technology.
A good product.
A strong business plan.
All of these things matter.
But over the years, I have come to believe that there is something even more fundamental:
Relationships.
And at the heart of meaningful business relationships is something that cannot simply be purchased, advertised, or manufactured.
Trust.
The Business Lesson I Learned From a Mentor
I remember a principle shared by one of my mentors that stayed with me:
If you want to succeed in business, learn how to build genuine relationships with people.
Part of that, I believe, involves being someone people genuinely enjoy working with.
There is a place for professionalism.
There is a place for competence.
There is a place for credentials and experience.
But there is also something deeply human about business.
People want to work with people they can trust.
They want to work with someone whose character they respect.
Someone whose presence makes them comfortable.
Someone who listens.
Someone who keeps their word.
Someone who can be relied upon.
And yes, I believe that having a warm personality, likeability, and the ability to connect with people can open doors.
But charisma alone cannot sustain a relationship.
Eventually, people need to see substance behind the personality.
A Conversation I Did Not Expect
There was a moment in my professional journey that made this lesson very real for me.
I had a very rare personal conversation with the president of a company.
It was not a formal business presentation.
It was not a sales pitch.
There was no elaborate proposal sitting on the table.
It was simply a genuine conversation between two people.
At one point, he said something that surprised me:
"Mike, join us and help me run the company."
I remember that moment because the statement carried something much bigger than a business opportunity.
It carried trust.
Someone was willing to invite me into something important because of the relationship and confidence that had been developed over time.
My immediate response was:
"Thank you for the trust and the opportunity."
I appreciated what he was offering.
But I also understood that trust should never be taken lightly.
I Chose to Protect the Relationship
I could have immediately accepted the opportunity.
I could have negotiated.
I could have asked about compensation, position, authority, and other details.
But instead, I politely explained that I would continue supporting the company through future training and other services that my company could provide.
At the time, I was also running a travel agency.
That meant I could potentially support the organization in other ways beyond training.
There was no contract.
No written agreement.
No elaborate business arrangement.
Just a genuine relationship.
And trust.
That experience stayed with me because it reminded me that some of the most valuable business relationships are not created by paperwork.
They are created long before the paperwork becomes necessary.
Trust Is Built Before the Sale
Trust usually takes much longer.
A client observes you.
They listen to you.
They see how you treat people.
They notice whether you keep your promises.
They watch how you respond when something goes wrong.
They remember whether you were there when they needed help.
They notice whether you are still interested in them after the invoice has been paid.
Over time, these small experiences create a picture.
And eventually, the client decides:
"I can trust this person."
That decision can become more valuable than any single transaction.
Likeability Can Open the Door. Character Keeps It Open.
I still believe that likeability matters.
People naturally gravitate toward individuals who are approachable, respectful, positive, and easy to communicate with.
Charisma can help.
Personality can help.
Communication skills can help.
But these qualities are only the beginning.
If someone likes you but cannot trust you, the relationship will not last.
If someone respects your personality but questions your competence, the relationship will eventually weaken.
If someone trusts you but repeatedly experiences inconsistency, trust will eventually disappear.
That is why I believe sustainable business relationships require more than charisma.
They require:
Character.
Competence.
Consistency.
Credibility.
Communication.
Commitment.
And above all:
Trust.
Business Is Personal
Sometimes we talk about business as if it were completely separate from human relationships.
We discuss markets.
Revenue.
Sales.
Operations.
Profit.
Targets.
KPIs.
But behind every transaction is a person.
A client is a person.
A business partner is a person.
An employee is a person.
A supplier is a person.
A customer is a person.
And people remember how we made them feel.
They remember whether we respected them.
They remember whether we listened.
They remember whether we delivered.
They remember whether we were honest when things became difficult.
That is why I believe:
Business may be transactional on paper, but it is relational in practice.
Don't Build Relationships Only When You Need Something
One of the easiest mistakes in business is to build relationships only when we want something.
We contact a client when we want a sale.
We message someone when we need a favor.
We reconnect with someone when we want an introduction.
We suddenly become friendly when there is an opportunity.
People can sense that.
Genuine relationships are different.
You connect even when there is no immediate transaction.
You ask how someone is doing.
You celebrate their success.
You offer help when you can.
You remain respectful even when there is no business opportunity.
You build the relationship because you value the person—not simply because you value what the person can give you.
That is a very different approach to business.
The Power of Reputation
Your reputation is one of the most valuable assets you have.
And unlike a product, you cannot simply manufacture it overnight.
Your reputation is built through repeated behavior.
Every conversation contributes.
Every commitment contributes.
Every client experience contributes.
Every decision contributes.
Every difficult situation contributes.
And sometimes, the people who recommend you are not recommending your company because of an advertisement.
They are recommending you.
They are saying:
"I know Mike. I trust him."
That sentence can be worth more than an expensive marketing campaign.
Trust Creates Opportunities You Cannot Plan For
The conversation with that company president taught me another lesson.
Some opportunities cannot be predicted.
You cannot put them on a marketing calendar.
You cannot always generate them through advertising.
Sometimes an opportunity emerges because someone believes in you.
The invitation to help run the company was not something I had planned.
It came through a relationship.
And although I did not accept the invitation in the way it was originally offered, I valued what was behind it.
Someone believed that I could contribute.
Someone trusted my character and capability.
That is meaningful.
And it reminded me that the relationships we build today may create opportunities we cannot even imagine tomorrow.
Don't Chase Every Opportunity
There is another lesson in that experience.
Not every opportunity has to be accepted simply because it is offered.
Sometimes the wiser decision is to protect the relationship and find another way to contribute.
I chose to continue supporting the company through services my businesses could provide.
That allowed the relationship to continue without forcing it into a structure that might not have been right for either party.
Business maturity includes knowing when to say yes.
But it also includes knowing when to say:
"Thank you. I appreciate the trust. Let me find another way to support you."
That response can preserve something more valuable than a single deal.
It can preserve trust.
Relationships Are Long-Term Assets
When we think about business assets, we usually think about money, equipment, property, technology, intellectual property, or inventory.
But relationships are also assets.
A trusted client can become a long-term partner.
A satisfied customer can become an advocate.
A former colleague can become a future business partner.
A professional connection can become a mentor.
A simple conversation can eventually lead to an opportunity that changes the direction of a business.
But relationships should not be treated like assets simply to be exploited.
They become valuable precisely because they are human relationships first.
What I Have Learned About Business
My experiences in education, corporate training, facilitation, entrepreneurship, and travel have repeatedly brought me back to the same lesson:
People do business with people they trust.
They may discover you through marketing.
They may first contact you because of your service.
They may initially be impressed by your presentation.
But long-term relationships are built on what happens after the first impression.
Do you deliver?
Do you communicate?
Do you take responsibility?
Do you remain dependable?
Do you care about the client's success?
Do you keep your word?
Do you continue to show up?
These are the things that turn a transaction into a relationship.
Seven Principles I Try to Remember
When I think about building a sustainable business, I return to several simple principles.
1. Be Someone People Can Trust
Your word should mean something.
If you commit, do your best to deliver.
2. Be Competent
Good relationships cannot compensate forever for poor service.
Develop your skills.
Know your work.
Keep learning.
3. Be Consistent
People should not have to wonder which version of you they will encounter today.
Consistency builds confidence.
4. Listen
Sometimes the best business strategy begins by understanding what the other person actually needs.
5. Give Value Before Asking for Value
Don't make every conversation about what you can sell.
Ask what you can contribute.
6. Protect Your Reputation
A single transaction is temporary.
Your reputation stays with you.
7. Think Long-Term
Don't sacrifice a meaningful relationship for a short-term gain.
Some relationships become valuable only after years of trust.
Success Is Not Only About What You Earn
As I continue to grow professionally, I have become less interested in measuring success only by revenue, titles, or the size of an organization.
Those things have their place.
But I also ask different questions.
Who trusts me?
Whose life have I helped improve?
Who is willing to call me when they need help?
Who believes that I will do what I say?
What relationships have I built that can withstand the absence of a transaction?
These questions matter to me.
Because business success is not only about what we accumulate.
It is also about what we build.
And some of the most valuable things we build cannot be seen on a balance sheet.
The Relationship Comes First
Looking back at that conversation with the company president, I am grateful not simply because someone offered me an opportunity.
I am grateful because it reminded me that trust is earned through relationships.
No contract created that moment.
No proposal.
No marketing campaign.
No sales presentation.
There was simply a relationship built over time.
And that relationship created enough trust for someone to say:
"Mike, join us and help me run the company."
I chose a different way to continue contributing.
But I never forgot the trust behind the invitation.
That experience reinforced something I want to carry throughout my professional journey:
Don't build relationships because you want business.
Build relationships because people matter.
When you genuinely value people, business can become a natural extension of that relationship.
The client who trusts you may become a partner.
The partner who respects you may become a friend.
The friend who believes in you may open a door you never expected.
And sometimes, the greatest business opportunities are simply the by-product of having spent years becoming someone people can trust.
That, to me, is one of the deeper lessons of entrepreneurship.
Business is built on transactions.
But lasting business is built on relationships.
And relationships are built on trust.
Learn. Lead. Grow. Live.
— Michael Badeon
The Michael Badeon Journal


Comments
Post a Comment
I'd love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to share your perspective, experience, or insight.